Makes 15 servings
- ½ cup egg whites (about 4 egg whites)
- 4 cups oats
- ½ cup wheat germ
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup flax seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened dried cranberries (can substitute raisins or chopped dried apricots)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, coconut, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds and cranberries; mix thoroughly.
- Stir in applesauce, vanilla and cinnamon until ingredients are all moistened, then fold in egg whites.
- Spread granola evenly over a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes, until granola is lightly browned and almost crispy. Let cool completely, then store in an air-tight container.